Students are required to complete a total of 8.0 Full Course Equivalents (FCEs) to graduate. These include:
MSC 1000: Foundations in Translational Research (1.0 FCE)
Translation is the process of moving knowledge between domains of inquiry. Broadly speaking, the goal is to help move discoveries, research, and knowledge from theoretical inquiry to real-world applications that improve human health.
- Discuss research, discovery, translation, and commercialization landscape,
- Explore key issues, tools, and perspectives on mobilizing knowledge,
- Understand translation thinking, TR tools, and the Translational Pathway(s)
- Engage in a broad range of TR conversations with multidisciplinary experts.
MSC 1002: Overview of Methods in Practices & Contexts (0.5 FCEs)
Explore the methods through which we acquire and make apparent knowledge in a variety of contexts, from early stakeholder engagement to implementation science.
- Critically engage with qualitative, design, and quantitative methods used to acquire and share knowledge
- Build skills such as interviewing, sketching, ideation, and qualitative user testing
- Gather evidence for iterative improvement of problem-solving designs
- Assess strategies for interdisciplinary collaboration and interaction
- Understand how knowledge generation and its application can lead to new and better ways of improving health care
MSC 1003: The Rhetoric of Science: Information, Media and Communication Literacy for the Sciences (0.5 FCEs)
Communicate clearly and persuasively. Learn how to communicate complex concepts to a range of target audiences to accomplish specific outcomes.
- Experiment with style, delivery, structure, and voice through weekly assignments,
- Collaborate with a community partner and propose a communication strategy to target a specific audience, and
- Communicate effectively through a substantive written assignment.
MSC 2021: Capstone Preparation (1.0 FCE)
Make an immediate impact. Work with a partner client to practice the skills and tools that will be fundamental to the 2nd year capstone project.
- Apply Translational Thinking framework to better understand relationship between research and practice
- Explore problem space through environmental scans, market research, and primary qualitative and quantitative research
- Engage in user-centred design research and idea generation exercises
MSC 4000: Capstone Project in Translational Research (2.0 FCEs)
MSC 4010: Core Modules in Translational Research (2.0 FCEs)