International applicants

Information for prospective students

We accept a certain number of students from outside of Canada each year. There are a few things that we need from international applicants in order for them to be considered: 

If you received your previous degree from a non-Canadian institution, your educational background will be assessed for equivalency with a University of Toronto degree. You can check your international degree equivalency here.

If your transcript or degree is not in English, you must arrange to have the document translated by an authorized translation service, embassy, or consulate.

English language proficiency test scores

If you received your previous degree from a university where English is NOT the language of instruction, you must take an appoved English language proficiency test within two years of applying. If you took the test more than two years prior to submitting your application, you must take the test again.

Approved tests:

The TOEFL examination is offered in two formats: the traditional paper-based format (only offered on specific dates in a limited number of countries), and the Internet-based format (IBT). Applicants in countries where the Internet-based testing is not available must register for the paper-based TOEFL which includes the Test of Written English (TWE) component. The IBT automatically includes an essay rating component which is similar to the TWE.

TWE® stands for Test of Written English. This test measures your English writing skills. You will write an essay on a given topic for 30 minutes. The scale for the TWE score is 1 to 6 (1=lowest and 6=highest). You will be asked to write either an opinion or argumentative essay. You do not have to take this test. However, if a college or university wants you to take it, make sure you register promptly. The test is offered only five times a year with the TOEFL test in August, October, December, February, and May. You do not pay an additional fee for TWE. Your TWE test score is reported separately.

Your score will be based on the following criteria.

  1. Organization — Do the ideas follow each other logically?
  2. Development — Are the ideas supported by adequate and relevant examples, reasons, facts, and so forth?
  3. Language usage — Are the sentences free of grammatical errors? Do they have varied sentence structures and vocabulary?

All applicants must satisfy a minimum score requirement on the TOEFL and on the TWE/Essay Rating component to be considered for admission.

The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is designed to help you work, study or migrate to a country where English is the native language. 

Your ability to listen, read, write and speak in English will be assessed during the test. IELTS is graded on a scale of 1-9. 

The higher you can score in your IELTS, reflects a better understanding and ability to communicate in English. Each immigration body, university, workplace or institution will have specific IELTS score requirements. The score you need will depend on what you are looking to do in the country, i.e work or study. 

Cambridge English Qualifications are in-depth English language exams.

Their qualifications are based on research into effective teaching and learning.  Each exam focuses on a level of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR), helping learners to improve their speaking, writing, reading and listening skills step by step.

Testing score requirements

All applicants must satisfy a minimum score requirement on the TOEFL and on the TWE/Essay Rating component to be considered for admission.


  • Overall: 93
  • Writing: 22
  • Speaking: 22

* Testing results must be sent directly to the TRP office. TOEFL test code 0982 will forward your results to the U of T School of Graduate Studies.

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic

A score of 7.5 is required with at least 6.5 for each component (listening, reading, writing, speaking).

Cambridge English Qualifications

C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency with an overall score of 185, and at least 176 for each component.

Student study permit (VISA)

If you are an international applicant and you are granted admission, you must ensure you hold a valid Student Authorization from Citizenship and Immigration Canada in order to study in Canada.

In some cases, a Temporary Resident Visa is required before entering Canada. Under no circumstances should you leave for Canada until confirmation of acceptance of admission to the University of Toronto is received and you hold a valid entry visa and student authorization. You should contact the nearest Canadian Embassy, High Commission, or Consulate as soon a syou receive an offer of admission.

Student visa cover image