International applicants

International degree equivalencies

If you received your previous degree from a non-Canadian institution, your educational background will be assessed for equivalency with a University of Toronto degree. You can check your international degree equivalency here.

Certified translation of transcript: 

If your transcript or degree is not in English, you must arrange to have the document translated by an authorized translation service, embassy, or consulate.

English language proficiency test scores

If you received your previous degree from a university where English is NOT the language of instruction, you must take an appoved English language proficiency test within two years of applying. If you took the test more than two years prior to submitting your application, you must take the test again.

Approved tests:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
  • Test of Written English (TWE) 
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

The TOEFL examination is offered in two formats: the traditional paper-based format (only offered on specific dates in a limited number of countries), and the Internet-based format (IBT). Applicatants in countries where the Internet-based testing is not available must register for the paper-based TOEFL which includes the Test of Written English (TWE) component. The IBT automatically includes an essay rating component which is similar to the TWE.

All applicants must satisfy a minimum score requirement on the TOEFL and on the TWE/Essay Rating component to be considered for admission.

The minimum TOEFL score requirements required is:

  IBT Paper-based exam

Overall: 93

Writing: 22

Speaking: 22

TWE Not applicable 5

* Testing results must be sent directly to the TRP office. TOEFL test code 0982 will forward your results to the U of T School of Graduate Studies.

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic

  • A score of 7.5 is required with at least 6.5 for each component (listening, reading, writing, speaking).

Student study permit (VISA)

If you are an international applicant and you are granted admission, you must ensure you hold a valid Student Authorization from Citizenship and Immigration Canada in order to study in Canada.

In some cases, a Temporary Resident Visa is required before entering Canada. Under no circumstances should you leave for Canada until confirmation of acceptance of admission to the University of Toronto is received and you hold a valid entry visa and student authorization. You should contact the nearest Canadian Embassy, High Commission, or Consulate as soon a syou receive an offer of admission.

Health insurance:

International fees apply to non-exempt international students. They include the University Health Insurance Plan premium. All international students must obtain health insurance through the University Health Insurance Plan.